Monday, January 16, 2012

Fry it up

My friend Ginny suggested that I put plantains on my list of new foods, so this week is plantain week!




A plantain looks similar to a banana.  You can cook them green, yellow, or with brown spots.
If you're looking for plantains, they are with the bananas in the produce section.


Although they look like a banana, their texture is more like an avocado on the inside, and the peel has to be cut off, not peeled off.  



I looked up a couple of different plantain recipes, but most of them just said to pan fry them in some butter, so that's what I did.



Make sure you have some paper towels/newspaper to drain them on afterwards.



Place plantain slices in the pan and let them cook for 2-3 minutes.  




Flip them and let them cook another 2-3 minutes.  One recipe I read called for squishing them a little with a glass at this point.  I think I will try that with my next plantain, to get them a little thinner.


And this is your finished product.  The plantains got 2 thumbs up here at our house.  When I ate plantains in Haiti, they were served wish fish and this amazing spicy coleslaw.  I wish I had made some of that to go with the plantains, but they were very good.  

Any more suggestions for foods to try here at Wittenbach Test Kitchens?  
Happy Eating!

2 comments:

Ginny said...

I just saw this! I am so glad you tried it. Next time fry it like you did until they are a little hard on the outside then take them out and smash them (we use the flat top of the mayo jar) and then re-fry them. They look good!

Beth said...

That's what a lot of the recipes said to do. I'll have to try that!