Okay, so I haven't really done a good job with New Year's resolutions for several years. In fact, a few years back, we decided to scrap the idea and come up with New Year's predictions. We still do that, but I have decided to actually make a resolution:
Every week I resolve to cook with a food I've never cooked with before.
Are you as excited as I am?
So, to start things off, tonight I cooked my first new food: Swiss Chard.
Swiss chard is a dark leafy vegetable, and the flavor kind of reminds me of spinach, but not quite as strong. I looked up a bunch of recipes on Pinterest, but opted instead for a recipe from a Cook's Country book I found at the library. It's just simple sauteed chard.
First, you wash and cut it all up. Take the stems off, chop them up, and put them in a separate bowl. They take a little longer to cook. I actually bought Rainbow Swiss Chard, and the stems were hot pink and bright yellow. Very pretty!
Next, cook up a little garlic, one minced onion, and the stems of the chard for about 5 minutes in a little oil. I cooked the garlic a little first before adding the rest to make sure it got cooked through.
Then you throw in the chard leaves and cook until it's wilted, about 5 minutes more. Then, after you take it off the heat, add a little bit of lemon juice and salt and pepper.
Finished product!
And the verdict? Not bad. I know chard is really good for you, and it tastes better thank spinach (according to David). Now that I know what it tastes like, I can see using it in a quiche or something with eggs.
Next week's new food? To be determined at my next Meijer visit.
Happy cooking!
1 comment:
Try adding yams cut up like shoe strings. Very yummy
Post a Comment