Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Parsnip or Two

This week our new food was parsnips.  I had never in my life tried a parsnip, so when I saw them at the grocery store and they looked like white carrots, I grabbed them up.  I also had a recipe book from the library with a recipe for parsnip fries, so I tried it.

I gathered up my ingredients:  parsnips, olive oil, salt, and pepper




I washed and peeled the parsnips


And cut them into sticks



I tossed them with with the oil and salt and pepper and cooked them at 450 degrees for about 35 minutes, flipping them halfway through.




And this is our finished product.



They certainly looked good, but how did they taste?

Actually, kind of bland.  I made a dip of sour cream and chili powder to dip them in, and that was pretty good, but the parsnips kind of tasted like sweet potatoes that weren't sweet (which isn't the same thing as a potato, strangely enough).

The verdict?  I probably won't be making more parsnips any time soon, but if a recipe calls for them, I know what I'm getting myself into.

Stay tuned for more food investigations

No comments: