This month I am teaching the high school students at my church on Sunday mornings. We are working our way through 1 & 2 Samuel, slowly but surely. But I also just finished "Jesus for President" by Shane Claiborne, so the idea of Jesus not wanting violence is at the forefront of my mind.
So when we read in 2 Samuel that David's men were off raiding and plundering another town, I have to ask myself, "Was this really part of God's plan?" I know that there were times in the Bible when God called for war. I know there was bloodshed. But, was ALL of it God-ordained? I'm not so sure. And I'm definitely not sure how to explain something I don't understand to the students. But I think there is something to being honest and upfront with students in your own struggles with studying the Bible, so that's what I'll be sharing on Sunday.
On another church note, our church is getting ready to do a 6-week study on the book of Nehemiah. They are asking everyone to come to both services so they can meet in small groups to discuss the book and study it further. (insert sarcastic gasp!) They have seriously been almost-begging people to make it a priority to come for 2 WHOLE HOURS on a Sunday. You would think this is the biggest sacrifice we will ever have to make! This is one of those moments when it's clear to me why I am not in a paid ministry position, because I would not be able to control my mouth. I'd get up front and say, "I know it's Sunday and we are all over-committed to other stuff, but seriously, get your butt here for 2 hours for this study. Is it too much to ask for 6 weeks?! Come on, people! Are we the church or not? We'll drive our kids all over the county every day for games, band, clubs, etc. but. . .
Deep breath.
Maybe I WILL have to resort to violence afterall. Ha!
Have a great weekend, everyone! Do something this weekend to show love to someone else.
I
No comments:
Post a Comment