Thursday, January 26, 2012

You've been hit by. . .a smooth(ie) criminal

I'm going to admit first off that this blog post would be much more interesting if I had actual pictures of these smoothies, but I'm going to tell you something:

Taking pictures of food is hard when you have 2 young 'uns right in front of a blender and loads of messy stuff.  I do not recommend.

All of that to say:  we are a little smoothie crazy around here.

It all started out with the beet smoothie.  I was trying to find different ways to use the beet.  I discovered that my kids will drink almost anything if you call it a smoothie and add a bendie straw.

Side note:  EVERY restaurant should have bendie straws.  My kids end up with their drink all over them because they are too short to drink out of the big straw in the little cup.  Okay, back to the smoothies.

For the past 3 weeks or so we have been having smoothies about every other day.  They are a great way to get some fruits and veggies into our diets, and the kids love hitting the buttons on the blender.  I don't really have any recipe to share, but I will tell you what we do.

Get lots of different frozen fruits from the grocery store.

Put a little yogurt in the bottom of the blender (maybe half of a single-serving container)
Add a banana or an orange or some other kind of fresh fruit (today we did a clementine)
Add the frozen fruit
Add any other goodies you want.  Today we added some instant oatmeal.  The other day we added fresh baby spinach.  I've added flax seed and wheat germ before, too.
Blend.  We start on low and gradually add speed.  If the mix is too thick add a little fruit juice.  The beauty is that the frozen fruit makes it almost slushy-esque, so we don't even have to add ice.

And there you have it!
Anybody have any other smoothie ideas out there?

No comments: