Friday, January 06, 2012

Just go ahead and slap that "hypocrite" sticker right on my forehead

Okay, so we go to Meijer a lot.  Like, every few days a lot.  And for the past few  years, we have developed a friendship with Donna, one of the greeters at Meijer.  Both kids love her.  We know the days she doesn't work, her grandkids, her vacations.  And I like to pride myself that we have become a kind of witness to her, sharing about Haiti, church, our Christmas traditions, etc.

And then today it all went down the drain.

Not with Donna.  No, she's still our pal.

Another cashier.

She is in there every time we are in there as well.  She's not as friendly as Donna.  Not as easy to talk to.  In fact, I'll just say she's kind of odd.  And the whole time we were doing the self check-out today, she is over at our aisle, just waiting.  I couldn't figure it out, and then as I start making small talk with her, I realize that all this time she wanted us to befriend her the way we have befriended Donna.  She is lonely.  She needs Jesus.  And I should be showing her God's love.  But all of this time we've been having fun and laughing with Donna we could have been showing her just as much love and attention.  I don't even know her name.

I feel sick just thinking about how much of a hypocrite I am.

It's soooo easy to love the loveable.  To hang out with people who are like you, who are good at conversation, who aren't awkward.  But Jesus didn't say, "Love those who are easy to love."  He said to go out and find the outcasts, the lonely, those in need, and love them.  And it's not going to be easy.  

But as my friend Ginny always says, "God never promised anything would be easy.  He just promises we never have to do it alone."

Some of you may think this story sounds trivial, but I'm a stay-at-home mom.  I don't have co-workers anymore.  No students.  Not even a boss.  So the people I talk to at the store, at the gas station, across the street, those are the people God has put in my path to show His love.  And today I was reminded of that in a big way.

May we never lose sight of His love and those who need it.

No comments: